Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Rounding up & off 2014.

It's weird how fast a year flies by, how one moment you have ages to wait until flipflop weather & the next it's been & gone & Christmas has launched itself at you, with all the stress it can bring & the frivolity it will bring & then it's the last day of the year & you're a little flummoxed by how that happened.

So with my bags packed ready for throwing myself off to my brother's & his wife's to ring in the beginning of 2015 with the pair of them, my other brother & his girlfriend & 4 of their friends (& of course 2 dogs & a pregnancy bump) I thought I'd take a moment to launch some moments from 2014 together in a rounding up & off of the year that it was.

January 2014:


Siamese boy discovering he was just tall enough at 3 months old to reach the top of the fish tank; this was also the same point he started climbing up the curtains & life would never be relaxed again! Last month of life at the wine bar; end of shift doodles & wine; even now I have moments of missing being there & the staff who were there with me at that time.

February 2014:


February was a month of oversized sunnies & spectacles; of different hats, long walks, train journeys & bowler hats, it was also the month where my time at the wine bar ended. 

March 2014:

My gorgeous lilac bantam cockerel was potentially the most cuddly creature ever, little odd considering perhaps but we all adored him & he was a willing shoulder sitter, cuddle giver & ever patient listening ear. March also saw me get my first purchase from We Are Hairy People; this lush cardigan with teeny tiny deer allover it. I loved it but alas I went away & my mother washed it on high heat & tumble dried it & it is now nothing more then a grey cardi.

April 2014:

Evenings spent with the then boy were always lovely, sometimes a day can't end better then with The Thomas Crown Affair, cuddles, comfy bed times. Yes I still miss those moments. April was also a good old time for coffee catch ups with people I adore who live a little further away; such as my darling friend Bobkins. 


May 2014:


May was a month that made me all aware I was coming closer to the end of that particular course; had fantastic weather, saw lots of assessments, pub garden evenings with the warmer longer evenings, good friends, my 'mr' at the time & the promise of an escape to Sardinia inching closer bit by bit, which was really needed as it was also the month that we lost Grandpa.

June 2014:

Hello Sardinian sunshine; a gorgeous wedding, fantastic company, one of my best friends (often known as the 'wife'), her man, my then man, beaches, amazing food, scenery. It was the most lovely little mini break, enabling us to come back bronzed & a little more chilled . . . for a bit.

July 2014:

Not my favourite ending to a month; end of a relationship; this led to manic walking; borrowing ma's dogs, endless paper crane making desperate distractions & a plethora of tears. Downside . . . it wasn't clear cut, made no sense to me, came out of the blue & went on to get a little messy in my brain/emotions.

August 2014:

Birthday drinks in a favourite pub for a friends birthday, complete with my 'wife', pints of Lillies - amazing cider, chatting & being with good company. A once in a lifetime experience of the Sandhurst Officers Commissioning Ball; because my brother was commissioning; amazing experience, chance to wear 2 different outfits, 2 different sets of shoes & go all out. Lots of fun & a great distraction. 

September 2014:

Coffee with mini soya milk bottles; in a fantastic coffee hide out, one of the many in my little city & family tree moments, memories, reminiscing sessions, this was my beautiful granny.

October 2014:

Odd moments of working whilst B&B 'sitting'; strange thing to have been asked to do, but amazing to have been able to stay in The Black Hole when it was still very new, plus coffee on tap, an Aga & a pub next door makes working evenings rather fun & yes desperate figure wobbles & a need to increase dire fitness, back to the running world.

November 2014:

I turned 29 on Bonfire night; enter panic stations over the ever quickening pace of years passing & the realisation that I was only a year away from 30; that's a terrifying thought when you are just not ready. So in protest; I dyed my hair lilac & spent many evenings with coffee, wine & olives with the 'wife', my housemate & dancing like my life depended upon it at 'heartbreak hotel' nights at The Railway.

December 2014:

Then December came; end of 2014 a time for excessive amounts of mulled wine, red wine, mulled cider & so much more, of making ceramic christmas decorations from scratch, throwing baileys in coffee & watching tragic films whilst decorating the christmas tree.


Random things I've learnt in 2014:

* Sex doesn't mend a broken heart; nor does it mean that person loves you or cares about you, it also confuses things a lot emotionally.
* Sometimes people are braver then they think they are capable of being; in the same way some are more supportive & others more selfish & usually in ways you had expected to be the opposite of what it was.
* A soya dirty chai latte can fix a lot of stroppy moments, even if momentarily.
* Old habits or coping mechanisms die hard.
* The busier you are the happier you might randomly end up being.
* Drunk people are not always fun.
* Sometimes nothing beats an incredibly hot shower.
* My hair is a pain in the arse to attempt to dye; especially when you want to dye it lilac.
* Loving a job does not mean it is a job that is financially viable & realising that can be gut wrenching.
* At times the positives & exciting areas of others lives you will genuinely be happy about but they will crush bits of you & without warning reduce you to tears.
* Unexpected people can come to mean a great deal to you & you will find at times you miss them at the oddest times. 
* Nipple piercing are a nightmare to heal & can catch with all too much regularity.
* A cuddle can make a big difference.
* Don't go through scary patches entirely alone, it's a horrible experience.
* Cats are both fantastic but also beyond odd.
* Sometimes debates are not debates, when the levels of knowledge on subjects or opinions are outnumbered.

Bits of 2014 I am totally sad to say goodbye to but mostly it's just another year & one that had too many lows & struggles in one way or another. The laughs I will love having had, the cuddles, kisses, the moments of potential insanity, but it is just a year & I think I am very much ready for a new one. 

Are you sad to see 2014 head off? Are you looking forward to a new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment