... about me.
This has no real purpose behind it other than I wanted to write a random list of random things about me, a way of giving maybe a better picture of the person behind the strange blithering & waffling that may find they become this blogging area of the world & also I just fancied doing it, sometimes you have to go with the little things you just 'fancy' doing, don't you?
Pictures are courtesy of We Heart It unless I say they are my own.
2. My birthday is on Bonfire Night (November 5th) & so fireworks feel special to me; yes they do make my jump out of my skin at times, but the small of bonfires, the moments of playing with sparklers, the 'ohs' & 'has' & the fact that chances are I am bitterly cold at the time but aware that a drink somewhere will be waiting for me, I love it all.
3. I doodle chronically; patterns, mandalas, zentangle, on brown paper, lined paper, homemade paper, as long as there is a pen in my hand chances are I will end up doodling some picture or another. Most who know me are very aware of this & some who know me very well know when it's just a doodle & where it's a 'Lucie is really peeved/hurt/angry doodle', yes there are differences.
4. I am barely 5ft 1 in height with size 3 feet, it does not make the high shelves in shops all that easy to get to, stubbornness means I will probably battle about attempting it for a while until a tall person, usually a middle aged man, decides I need assistance, but shelves aside it's at times lovely being little, yes I'd like a bit more height, but VAT free bits from the children section is not always a bad thing, as long as you choose wisely.
5. Worms make me nauseous. I don't know what it is about them but they absolutely turn my skin, have been known to make me cry & make me retch, snakes I can do but worms . . . barf.
6. I adore snail mail; writing it & sending it & of course receiving it. I think it is a great lost art that people should do more of, there is something nice about having a bit of time you are genuinely giving both to yourself (in getting comfy, sitting down, having a mug of coffee) & to the person you are writing the letter to. Personal letters on nice paper or cards are certainly nicer to receive then bills or bank statements & yes I do still write thank you letters - I think they are important.
7. I have Julie Andrews' autograph & it was such a big deal to me that I must confess to crying after I got it.
8. At the age of 13 I was taught to make origami cranes & have made them ever since as a stress reliever, an anxiety lowering method, a distraction tool, to keep fingers busy, over the years I have had to find homes for them because it does become an insane amount of cranes over a 16 year period especially when you keep adding to them.
9. I first went to Glastonbury festival when I was 4 years old because ma felt it was important so off I went & actually I loved every minute of it & the minutes after the years that followed. We had so much fun at that festival, with henna, face paints, plate spinning, PJ Harvey & more.
10. My Siamese cat is named after a Hungarian wine; logical no, same area of the world, no, but a wine I like, yes. It is shortened though so he is not daily called that, but on his vet paperwork & similar yes that is what he is named after & I miss him whilst he has to live with ma & my step father because he can't live with me due to my housemates 2 cats being a tight unit & being outside cats when my boy is an inside cat; there is a plan in the pipeline though to one day get him back.
11. I have 2 tattoos but have been tattooed 4 times & am itching to get my 3rd tattoo; bit more planning to do & it will be mine! There are designed by me & have links somehow to each other & meanings, so the next one needs thoughts but I am getting there.
12. Lists & making them somewhat run my life; partly run, partly aid due to the OCD it's weird, one one hand it helps the OCD remain under control on the other hand it is OCD driven . . . complex, weird, but strangely satisfying. I am not sure how I'd cope without lists I have to be honest.
14. In many ways I am a bit of an old soul; including cats, knitting, snail mail, using words like 'nowadays', occasionally more elderly sentences & phrases fall out of my mouth before I can monitor them, I have a bit of a love for knitwear & layers & yes a cup of tea can solve everything!
15. I have 14 piercings including a nipple piercing; would I advise it to others? Not sure, I still stand by the concept that having my nose pierced hurt more. It's more the length of healing time & thus hassle that comes afterwards that annoys me, or my tendency to accidentally brush it when brushing my hair that makes me highly consider taking it out.
16. This may perhaps seem strange but my granny was the first person I told when I lost my virginity; in fact she was the first person I told most things to. She was one of my best friends until she died just before I turned 20 & I trusted her completely so she really did know everything; stupid moments, lost virginity, crushes, upsets, struggles with my mental health, hopes, dreams, idiocy laced ideas & ideals, everything seemed to be run by her.
17. I find knitting very therapeutic; there is something about the rhythm & the constant movement that can calm down a wired brain, help make things feel more manageable & make days feel a little more ordered. I have yet to work out why exactly but there is something about it all that is very satisfying, especially if you actually make something you set out to make.
18. I know how to make sunscreen & mascara from scratch & really should make it more often, sometimes though time flies away from you & other things get in the way; job hunting, almond milk yet to be blended, daily mundane tasks, exercise, the job you have at that time, battling a flu/cold thing, whatever it is somehow it leaps into the way & your plan of making it that day once again are scuppered.
19. I'm a vegetarian although that's hardly exciting & lots of people are one of these, but it's a random thing about me. I also prefer natural & raw foods & yes that includes having a great preference for Almond milk over cows milk or in fact soya milk, but almond milk & cafes in my town are not massively friendly with each other & beggars cannot be choosers.
20. Films regularly make me cry & I don't mean a little bit, I mean full blown in tears, tissues, puffy eyes moments. There are moments it comes as a surprise then there are the moments I have done it on purpose, when you know you just need to cry hysterically at something that is not related to yourself & your own life & sometimes it's not as full on as you fear, but films will regularly reduce me to tears.
21. I am a bit of an SPF fanatic, to the degree I wear sunscreen all year round. Yes even though I live in England, but skin care is important, so I wear it all year round on my face, hands, when lazy on the rest of me as a moisturiser, but all year round especially where I know the sun will sneak in & get me. Ageing skin worries me & I think it's important to look after your skin where you can, so I do. It also means that I am a 29 year old who has yet to endure the nasty world of sunburn, there is something therefore to be said for skin maintenance & care!
22. Matching underwear feels important to me; tragic perhaps but true. It's one of those strange things where I do think a day can start better if your knickers & bra match, even if nobody else is going to see them, you know, so it tends to be a booster for yourself that at that time you have a boosting 'secret' for yourself.
23. I very briefly had lilac hints in my hair (that on the fade out turned a strange grey & blue . . . why?? What is that about?) & although I loved it think doing it again may not be an option since the hints was purely down to 70% of my hair decided as a natural blonde I should stay blonde & not altering colour at all, irritating it must be said when 2 bottles of lilac later it is the same situation!
24. Oh pants I just lost 'THE Game'!!
26. Manners are important to me. Saying please & thank you is not hard & yet it apparently is to many people, on the same hand I find it very difficult to be in the company of people who eat with their mouths open (charming grosses me out, I am glad you are enjoying your food but I should not have to hear the enjoyment), or talk with their mouths full or wave cutlery around when they tell stories. Blame my upbringing but since when is a knife a dinnertime magic wand?
27. My housemate is South African & makes a very good Baileys & soya milk hot chocolate; combine that with a chai pud pod & it makes for a good Christmas tree decorating combination.
28. I cannot see a dandelion clock without picking it, blowing it & yes making a wish. It is I fear a compulsion, or a moment of desperately at times wanting those childhood moments when things really were that simple, that easy to find joy in & that lacking in complexities but it also means even if I am having a crumby day a dandelion clock waiting to be picked & blown will always make me smile. In the same manner a bridge requires a game of poo sticks, stones must be attempted to be skimmed & if nobody is watching . . . puddles jumped in.
29. We didn't have a tv in our house until I was 13, so spent huge amounts of our time being children who ran, drew pictures, played frisbee with dry cowpats, climbed trees, played variations of french cricket, got dirty, in the same way I have never had my own games console handheld or plugged into the tv. My brothers both have but I never had & I have yet to work out how I entirely feel about it.
31. At 29 years old I still have yet to learn to drive' combination of reasons really, but it is on my 'before I am 30' list & I am determined I will do it, but I just have never needed to & have seen so many people get lazy & stop walking 20 mins down the road & I like walking. But surely if I like walking driving or not I will continue to walk. So all should be fine with that bit & it does mean I am reliant on lifts from other people or public transport which is at times a bit of an irritation & hindrance.
32. I'm slowly working my way towards becoming a qualified counsellor, with the aim of working with children from 7/8-18 years old who struggle with OCD & eating disorders.
33. Sprouts make me happy; potentially on a ridiculous level. I adore them, cold, raw, cooked, boiled, at christmas, or in fact at any time, made into bubble & squeak. I even love the ritual of peeling oodles of them on christmas eve night ready for christmas day. I think they are just divine, even if many do not, I also think more vegetarians love them then meat eaters, at least that appears to be the experience I have had.
34. I know a lot of my friends by strange names & vice versa, for instance; 'Patsy', 'Bobkins', 'Angus', 'Beet', 'Liz-Whizz', 'Ketamine Kate Bush', 'Beanie'.
35. I have hand-reared lambs & poultry including geese & would do it again in an instant if I could.
36. Hilary Bags are a vital part of my upbringing, family & childhood memories & I dread the day that they are no more.
37. Hula hooping is a great stress reliever & just lots of fun, plus if it can help erase/tame my stomach I am always going to be a fan of it & is something you can do all year round, either inside or outside, no limitations, bar potentially having people wonder what on earth you are doing & looking at you sometimes strangely (or I like to pretend in awe).
38. I'm still in touch with some of my primary & secondary school teachers; they were important people to me when I was growing up, I love snail mail & I think important people have value & can be important always, so I don't think you grow up & cut people out, you can depending on the people, but with the teachers I am still in touch with it's because I adored them & thought they were fantastic & they were important to me.
39. I used to be able to put my feet behind my head, however I got stuck once & have not been brave enough to do it since - one day I might, but must guarantee I have my old flexibility back first as I have very little desire to get stuck in that undignified manner for a second time.
40. Musicals are a bit of a chronic guilty pleasure of mine; I adore them, from Rent to Calamity Jane, The Sound of Music to Les Miserables, there is something about them that will always boost a shitty day & even better if I can be able to sing-a-long with it without fear of judgement or without caring, trust me I will do that at any given moment.
42. Talking to myself has become a bit of an art form. I do it slightly chronically, no matter what time of day or night, sometimes without being entirely aware that I am doing it & without company; it tends to be making lists out loud to myself, or telling myself off for my own stupidity, it's not full blown conversations where I expect answers just to erase notions of complete insanity, but it happens & a lot.
43. I have a bit of a coffee problem . . . I do love coffee, indulging in it, drinking it, starting & ending my day with it. It's a little luxury of mine that makes me happy & at times fuels my day. In my defence I do also indulge in chai tea, camomile tea, water, green tea & similar. There is some less bad aspects being poured down my throat but coffee is one of those things that makes me very happy & long may our love affair continue!
44. A broken heart is a horrible thing to live with, or try to live with. Sometimes trying to stay friends with someone you are in love with is excruciating & the worst form of punishment you can willingly force upon yourself - I like to hope time makes it easier. I have yet to find that out though, in the past it has, with this particular person it is seemingly more difficult.
45. I get ill about once a year & loathe every minute of that period of time; granted I am one of those people who will still go to work where possible & hope that being working through it I will find a way to make it vanish much quicker - alas so far that theory has not amounted to much. I regularly feel for the people who get ill a lot though as I cannot imagine how ghastly that must be, once a year is bad enough thank you.
46. Orders slightly run my life; I like things in orders. Books on my book case, DVDs, clothing, nail polish, I like things to have their place & be in specific designated spots & spaces. It is just one of those things but it does mean if I am not careful I get a little twitchy if they get messed up, although learning to hide that with a little more success so that people are not instantly aware of my nervous twitching!
47. I used to horse ride & really miss it, in the same way I really miss playing hockey. Regularly reconsider starting both, but fear of being shockingly rubbish means I avoid the hockey one more & more & more. I am more likely to horse ride again then play hockey because of the fear of not being good enough. I think that's in part why I love running; it can be done alone.
48. My family is full of talented, artistic, creative, intelligent, beautiful, stylish, funny, successful people & it makes me incredibly nervous, rather on edge & more than a little bit worried about why I don't have those attributes myself. I adore them all but it doesn't mean I am not in awe of them & a tad embarrassed about myself when with them.
49. I don't have a favourite season. I know most people do but I genuinely don't have a favourite season, I love them all & enjoy them all (& have areas I don't enjoy about them all also; wasps for instance, surprise rain fall also), for different ways. I know some people suffer from SAD I am not one of them, but maybe that is aided by keeping an eye on making sure I have doses of vitamin D in my life, or because walking can boost moods, I don't know but I think there is something to be said for all of the seasons.
50. I will always make my bed - a made bed is important, far more inviting, makes rooms like nicer & I have this weird theory that it sets you up better for the day ahead if you make your bed. Plus because I use mine as a desk, seat, creative space & more, I'd rather it was made & didn't ooze sleep from it's every corner.
So there we are some utterly random snippets about me. The person behind the blog, I figure over time with random musings, entires, pondering & more you will gauge more of who I am, so view this as a bit of a starting point, a beginners crib sheet if you will.